FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

Traktor and Salling Clicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliby19

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Traktor and Salling Clicker Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has worked on a Salling Clicker script for Traktor DJ Studio?

I have been DJ'ing with it for a while now, and was hoping for some simple funcionality like being able to have the crossfader move from left to right.

Traktor uses hotkeys, so I could possibly write a script that just emulates those keys?

Thanks,

-Noah
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a reasonably simple project.

What are the hotkeys? Also, do you have any need for being able to hold any hotkeys down? I'm thinking about the fader; or is there already a hotkey that one can press/click to make the fader start moving across automatically?

Best.
--
Jonas
aliby19

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traktor Manual lists the assignable functions. Basically you can assign any key to a function.

As for having to hold a key down - there is a button/key that lets you press it once and the program moves the crossfader over to the other deck for you.

There is an appendix in the back of the manual that lists every function that could possibly be assigned a key, as well as which ones are assigned what key in the default keymap. This section is 4 or 5 pages long. I wanted to attach the PDF but it is 1.8mb, too large for these forums to allow.

I will most likely be attempting to write a script to do some basic Traktor functions once my final exams are over for the semester. If anyone is interested in this script, let me know and I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

-Noah
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, Noah. You should be able to make use of some existing scripts to do get some ideas. I recommend looking at "AlchemnyTV DVR Remote". I also uses keystrokes to control the application.

Best.
--
Jonas
certosix

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm also interesting in scripts.

I'm just a beginner user of Traktor but I have a small problem. I can't set the full screen mode. Some parts of the screen are missing like half of the right control panel.
Could you please help?

Thanks,

Certo
yuletide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any luck with this? did anyone ever make a script??
GoldenEars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Nokia N series + traktor Reply with quote

I think this would be one of the most significant scripts to write..

BUT...make it possible to be dual phones at the same time.. is that possible So

Let's say I have 2 Nokia N-95's.

Each one can represent a Deck on Traktor- you need enough screen real estate for this..the Nokia N810 would likely be better for this..

Anyhow.. or each Nokia N-95 could have 2 decks on it at once..

Of course just having one N-95 would be cool.

So here is my vision..... The "John Gilmour" (my name) future of DJ'ing"

Salling clicker controls Traktor- so we have a good developer community working here and really to pick up the ball when it is dropped.

Now you Map certain accelerometer movements from the N-95 onto the phones.

look at this..

DJshift! (pronounced DJ shift one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DOpVNhNn8

See http://www.DJwiij.com

That was cool wasn't it??? But its like trying to drive a car blind. You need visual feedback.

Anyhow- as I see it.. As an old time DJ we weren't very significant prior to beat mixing and scratching.. then when DJ's stopped being "jockeys" and started having some instrumental creativity as "turntablists" / remixers we moved more forward.. though not to front stage- more like an accessory like with the Beastie boys.... unless you were like Oakenfold.

So... DJ shift one..... well he almost has an idea... but the issue for me is to free myself from the DJ booth.

Also to animate the DJ so the audience can understand what the DJ is doing.. and where he is going... (will he loop the next 4 counts...? will he scratch? etc...) The audience just looks to the overhead display..

So I want the DJ to take Front-stage.. Not unlike a conductor of a classical orchestra. The DJ can now move through the crowd- interact- maybe even Battle DJ with another DJ running other decks.... all while using Cell phones as their instruments.

The DJWIIJ thing... its cool- but you aren't really free to move...you still need to be line of sight of your traktor display...

What is missing from the DJwiij thing... well its visual feedback for the DJ- cueing the next song..etc...

The phones can also vibrate to warn of the end of a song coming... they can be microphones too- or using the accelerometer.. you COULD DRUM USING THEM....

Now- since the phones can also be wireless web cams... you could also broadcast from the phones. and since you have 2 of them... (and mind you... you need to write a script with both single phone option and two phone options...) You can shoot the person you are interacting with as well as yourself (the N-95 has two cameras so you can use the video conferencing one for yourself.

So - now you have Traktor running..... and you use a large projector to project it on a screen- or even on large white balloon or Blimp like thing which you could fly around the dance floor if you wanted...

People can see what you are doing.. And your body movements reflect a "loop" or "drop in" or whatever.. Just like a conductor.

Now... here is where you can get really sick.....

You could possible map the body movements of someone to effect a mix.... So now you are the camera man... shooting a hot dancer- and - lets say.. she whips her hair between her legs and flicks it back... taht could signal a loop... or if she were to make a movement that has a left and right movement... lets say for the sake of a ridiculous image.. she makes a classic Egyptian pose (both elbows and wrists bent one arm up to the right) well that could mean a quick fader to the right deck.... and if it was left arm up it would mean a quick fade to the left deck...and so forth.

Do a back flip...and you go back to the beginning of the song. Move your hips faster and the tempo increases.. gryrate slower and the music slows...etc... you could map whatever movements you wanted.. a DJ for the first time could interact with Dancers in BOTH directions of communication. it would not be a one way street of Dj telling the Dancer what to do- the Dancer could control the direction of musical composition.

Two Dancers without true Dj experience... could battle it out...
Like look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2B5X0LhMY&feature=related

Both could be riffing.. and instead of relying ona pre mix to do it.. they could do it live.....

But you need wireless cameras like in the Nokia N-95 and you need some sort of recognition software..Already the N-95 is capable of reading 2D barcodes).

Likely the N-95 wouldn't do the translation for thesalling command to Traktor- but the computer hosting the Traktor would as it would have far more processing power than a phone.

but Salling clicker is important for this (stable developer community) and As I mentioned before the key are the cameras and accelerometers in the Nokia N95 (and several other models)

No reason to use the nintendo wi-motes (no visual feedback)..though perhaps the wii-fit might be useful.

tactile layout of the buttons on the wii-motes is superior- but it is just too much to sacrifice.

Also wondering about the Nokia E-90 because it has a wide screen display and perhaps a more useful layout... better battery life...

The N-96 which is due out soon--- well it has 2 LEDs likely to be useful for video recording in low light... that should be nice. Though for now I envision a DJ might have to have someone following him with extra lighting to really broadcast..

If you don't follow me... just ask and I'll be happy to clarify my thoughts.

Yes a traditionalist would think this is "wacked"- and traditional DJ's thought it was ridiculous when "scratch Dj's" were back cueing... and look- its now allowed a turntable to be a sort of musical instrument... certainly with more expression possible than just a TRIANGLE... or even a tambourine. With each passing year- the tools of the DJ extend his musicality as a musician as opposed to an "administrator of playlists".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: