FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RSS Feed

general question about proximity and terminals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maelcum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: general question about proximity and terminals Reply with quote

Hello,

still plodding my first scripting steps, I came across these two/four commands:
entering/leaving proximity
connecting/disconnecting terminal

Those seem to correspond to the preference pane option "phone events" where there is a choice of "connected, disconnected" and "leaving the computer" and "returning to the computer".

Is that correct?
Does this mean, that I *either* use "entering proximity" *or* assign the script (without any line like "entering proximity") to the "return to the computer"-option?
Is any one of those methods preferred?

What is the difference between entering a proximity (which would connect my phone to my computer) and connecting a terminal (which looks to me as if it does exactly the same thing)?

Thanks in advance to anybody who cares to explain.
And yes, I'd be the first one to buy a O'Reilly-book on how to program for Salling Clicker... :-)

Cheers

maelcum
salling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: general question about proximity and terminals Reply with quote

[quote="maelcum"]these two/four commands:
entering/leaving proximity
connecting/disconnecting terminal

Those seem to correspond to the preference pane option "phone events" where there is a choice of "connected, disconnected" and "leaving the computer" and "returning to the computer".

Is that correct?
[/quote]

Yep. You've understood this correctly.

[quote="maelcum"]Does this mean, that I *either* use "entering proximity" *or* assign the script (without any line like "entering proximity") to the "return to the computer"-option?
Is any one of those methods preferred?
[/quote]

The first method (one script, multiple handlers) is more flexible and end-user friendly; it allows state to be transitioned between handlers for the various event types. It's also easier to install and use.

[quote="maelcum"] What is the difference between entering a proximity (which would connect my phone to my computer) and connecting a terminal (which looks to me as if it does exactly the same thing)?[/quote]

The difference should be with respect to who's acting. If the computer is automatically connecting, "entering proximity" is fired. If the user is manually connecting, "connected" is fired. At least that's the way it should work on devices that fully support phone events.

Best.
--
Jonas
maelcum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: GREAT Reply with quote

GREAT! Thanks for making this clear!

Have a nice day.

maelcum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Salling Software Forums Forum Index -> Scripting Salling Clicker for Mac All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: